Stradbroke is within four miles of the Waveney Valley and is still one of the largest villages in the region. It was home to many Aldous
families who have had a presence in the village from at least the early 17th
century. The earliest reference to the village is in the Domesday Book
written in 1086, it was then known as 'Stetebroc'. A later spelling
was 'Stradebroc, believed to have derived from 'Stede' (farm or small
settlement) near a brook.
A famous son of the village was Robert
Grossetester b1168. He was educated in Oxford, then in it's
ascendancy, before moving on to Paris before returning to Stradbroke
in 1214. He wrote many books of a scientific nature and eventually
became bishop of Lincoln in 1235.
The Parish church of St Paul's is in the centre of town, a large, imposing building. The 15th century tower, with its raised stair turret, is visible from miles away. Niches flank the west window, other windows build via a bell window to high battlements. It is one of Suffolk's biggest towers, probably because this was the parish of the De La Poles.
In memory of Charles Aldous